You know those days where you just feel like you’re doing everything wrong? That you’re hindering more than helping; that everyone else is competent whilst you just feel like a five year old creating chaos? Where everything seems to be going wrong; you’re failing at everything and you can’t do anything right?
Of course you do. We’ve all had them. I’m having one of those days today in fact; something I worked really hard on and thought was really good got negative feedback; last night at work I was in charge and something went wrong; my friend made a series of comments that offended me, and left me feeling useless.
On top of that, I’m tired and I’m in a “flat” mood. And, I’m cold, because winter has decided to make a comeback here. And my friends haven’t replied to my texts. And, I’m procrastinating, which is just increasing my guilt. Plus, I’m feeling very neurotic; thinking that work is going to fire me, my friends are getting annoyed at me, I’m never going to be in a relationship (this is a long standing worry for me), and I’m never going to make something of myself.
Okay, *deep breath*. Please note that I am in no way qualified to give professional advice and do not interpret this advice as professional advice. This is merely what I am doing to get myself out of my ‘funk’ and you may or may not find the same techniques helpful. With that out of the way, this is how we’re going to get out of our bad day in this order:
1. List five things you’re proud of doing in your life. It can be anything, even tiny little things like helping an old lady cross a road, or holding back a sarcastic comment.
2. Drink some water. Water helps to increase your mood.
3. Make yourself a ‘happy playlist’ – full of fast, upbeat music. No slow songs.
4. If you’re home by yourself – dance to your playlist. No matter how much you don’t want to at the beginning, give yourself three songs to get into the mood. Dancing also increases your mood.
If you’re in public – go for a walk outside, and listen to your playlist. Clear your head, and think about something happy, or just focus on the happy songs. Try not to think about what is worrying you. If it’s raining, walk indoors.
5. Smile. Even if you don’t want to. It raises your mood. If you feel weird smiling without feeling happy, watch something funny. I’m personally watching this. Or, you can laugh at the fact that there’s a really cute boy sitting at the table opposite me as I write this, you just CAUGHT ME STARING AT HIM. *sigh*. Story of my life, I swear.
What do you do to get through the bad days? Let me know in the comments!